Wednesday, August 09, 2006

violaceous

I have to say, this is a very cool birthday present.

Flower Basket Shawl

Flower Basket Shawl by Evelyn Clark (Fiber Trends)
Misti Alpaca dk 4-ply 80% Baby Suri Alpaca, 20% Silk, color 1750 (PURPLE)
About 400 yards
Size 5 Addi Turbos
August 1 - August 8, 2006
I did 11 repeats of the main pattern
The only modification I made was I used a sl2, k1, psso double decrease instead of the sl1, k2tog, psso. I think it makes it look nicer.
Finished size: 49 inches across, 23 inches down

This yarn has a really nice drape, and makes a warm shawl. I like all the colors it comes in, too. We work in a really cold office, and my friend doesn't like to wear sweaters, so she's getting a pretty purple shawl for her birthday. She might not wear this in the office either, but I'm sure she'll like it.

Here are some more pictures:

Flower Basket Shawl

Flower Basket Shawl

Flower Basket Shawl

This was the first triangular shaped shawl I've made. I like how it starts with only 2 stitches and grows on the bias. The Swallowtail Shawl from the new Interweave is similar (also by Evelyn Clark), and since I already happen to have a ball of misti alpaca lace yarn, I think I will start that one tonight. I started it last night, but the size 4 needles recommended by the pattern produce lace that is just too loose for me. Maybe it's me, maybe I knit too loose, though I don't think so.

I would like to figure out lace enough to make my own patterns, but it's not time for that yet. One of the next ones will be Frost Flowers & Leaves from A Gathering of Lace. It is just gorgeous.