Thursday, August 17, 2006

say hello to the angels

Swallowtail

It came out very pretty! My favorite parts of triangular shawls are the very tips of the triangle. The yarn over patterns are so cool. It's also not too small:

Swallowtail

Swallowtail

Swallowtail Shawl by Evelyn Clark (from Fall 2006 Interweave)
Misti Alpaca Lace, 1 skein
Size 2 Addi Naturas
Finished size: 42x21"
August 12-16, 2006

I was concerned about the size when it was finished, but it blocked out large enough to wear. Since I used smaller needles (size 2 instead of 4), it came out smaller, but it's still okay. It actually warmed me up a bit while I was wearing it, which I found very strange because of how light it is. I am definitely going to make another black shawl - next time much bigger, though. Black is so elegant and really brings out the pattern in a way that sometimes colored yarn doesn't.

I want blocking wires! The whole string business still doesn't make a straight enough edge for me. It is better than just pins - I can't seem to get a straight edge at all with that method. Maybe I'll slip some in my next yarn purchase. :-)

Next on the list is Frost Flowers & Leaves from A Gathering of Lace. I would love to use the Jade Sapphire cashmere for it, but I need over 3000 yards. That would be over $300! AH. I will definitely have to find something else to use. I would love to use the same silk that Eunny used, but that would cost about $200. I was thinking of maybe Merino Oro, or I could use the yarn recommended by the pattern, Jamieson & Smith, though maybe in cobweb weight. That would fulfill my dream of making a proper huge shawl with shetland wool. I've wanted to do that since I was 17 and read about shetland lace from a big needlepoint book I got from the Texere mill in Bradford. I should have made one that summer - I had all the time in the world.

Swallowtail