Monday, February 14, 2011

coconut

One of my favorite made up recipes. I'm sure it's not original, but I've never followed any recipes for it. This time I put yellow sweet potatoes in it and it's sooo yummy.

coconut curry

Red Lentil Coconut Curry with Sweet Potatoes

2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 Tbsp fresh grated turmeric
1 Thai chile or serrano pepper
1 Tbsp or so ground coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne
some lemongrass
1 can of coconut milk
1/4 c grated coconut (i use dry)
1 c. red lentils
1 medium yellow sweet potato chopped into small cubes

Cook the onion in the oil for awhile and then throw in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, chile, lemongrass, cayenne and coriander. Cook for another couple minutes then add the coconut milk, grated coconut, lentils and potatoes. Add about a cup of water. Cook on low until the lentils disappear and the potatoes are soft. Add salt to taste.

It's vegan but not on purpose. The red lentils have more protein in them than other varieties and they completely melt into the sauce. Always makes me feel good when I eat this!

8.6